Well, Halloween is inching closer and closer. Yesterday night I dressed up as a zombie and I may actually be dyed an unnatural color of red for a few days, and that’s okay. It was pretty fun so I don’t even mind. I might mind when people start wondering if I have a sunburn or some strange disease though. I had some spare free time, a true rarity, and I put together a festive mix for the occasion and here it is:
It’s quite random, but it’s all very festive and music worth listening to. So if you’re into festive mix tapes or are just really cool you can find it on
8Tracks or Spotify
Let’s begin today’s post with the obligatory “where did October go?” comment. Seriously though, where did it go? I can’t believe Halloween is on Thursday! Halloween is quite different as an adult, but it’s still one of the best times of the year for me at least. It ushers in the craziest (and best) two months of the year. The week has been a bit crazy. The World Series is happening, and if I was forced to choose, and deal with the consequences of this decision at all future family get togethers until the end of time, I’d probably say go Sox. Anchorman is getting it’s very own Ben + Jerry’s ice cream flavor. So, now you too, can hear everyone around you doing the scotch song over and over once more but for a delicious frozen treat. Now that we have those two news items covered, here’s some more interesting things from around the internet this week.
- Remember the guys who told us, against our will, what the fox says? Well they have a new jam about Massachusetts?
- Instagram revealed how their ads will work. And everyone complaining about, but not leaving, Instagram in 3….2….1…
- Bon Appetit shares 22 recipes everyone should know how to cook and I must admit I don’t know how to make half of these. I can’t recall the last time I was asked to roast a chicken, but I suppose I can learn to do so if I must.
- Infographic of the Week: Ever wonder what are the most popular brands mentioned in Jay-Z songs? Nope? Me neither. Well worry no more, Vanity Fair has us covered.
- Arcade Fire + NPR? These are a few of my favorite thingsssss. Arcade Fire will be performing Reflektor live on NPR but if you, like myself, can’t wait for that their new album is currently available for streaming in a really long lyric video.
- Do you have a cat? Do you fear the stigma associated with drinking alone? Fear not because the latest trend in wine is for… cats? Yes, now those mean yet loyal companions can join in on a nightly glass of wine to unwind after their rough day of playing with yarn and judging everyone.
- It’s Science: Time has a little personality test to find out which state suits one best. Unfortunately, I do not agree about my results, but I’ll stay mum on that.
- So OS Mavericks is out. Wired has everything worth knowing about how to use it
- Trailer Talk: Oh. my. god. The trailer for Captain America The Winter Soldier is out and I can’t wait to see it. Captain America The Winter Soldier? More like Captain America Fuck Yea!
- Yum-mazing: Really considering making this Chicken Parmesan Panini for dinner this week. Unless, I just overdose on mini pumpkin pies. I bet there’s no having just one, right?
- New Music: I won’t lie. I’m kind of in love with One Direction’s Story of my Life and I’m not going to be ashamed of it. And if it changes your opinion of me and the music I listen to, well I guess that’s your problem. I’m tired of having to be one thing or the other with no in-between.
- Shameless Self Plug: New Girl review of “Keaton” over at Screen Spy
Well, I have a Halloween thing to start prepping for, so I’ll catch you on the flip side loves!
Halloween mix 2013 coming soon? Maybe…I’ll never tell.
Featured Image via Pinterest
I’ll be entirely honest, I haven’t been up to speed on new music this month. I did manage to listen to a few selections, but have yet to check out the new Cults album I’ve been waiting to hear. I’m swimming in a sea of new music I just can’t find time to listen to. As if I feel I have the time and qualifications to pretend I have to listen to everything ever. That said, I suppose it’s possible to discuss what I actually have been listening to.
Pure Heroine – Lorde
I tried desperately to avoid listening to this album. I heard one of her tunes at a restaurant awhile back and was pleasantly intrigued, but once I saw everyone blabbering on and on about it, I immediately tried to avoid it. Until one Saturday morning I couldn’t avoid it any longer and gave in. It’s such a good album. I’m glad I gave in. Her voice is beautiful and that hair of hers is out of control in a good way.
Listen to: Ribs
Cereal’s Autumn Playlist
There’s not much I can say about this playlist since I didn’t actually create it. Cereal never fails to make a great playlist.
Listen to it here
Afterlife – Arcade Fire
“Oh here we go” groans everyone at this very moment. But this time, I actually liked it during the first listen. Shocking, I know considering what I said last time about Reflektor. I actually like this track a lot. It’s still very dance-y and gives off that Saturday Night Fever vibe, but it’s making me look forward to hearing the album.
Hold On, We’re Going Home – Drake & Majid Jordan
Okay, I’ll admit I have listened to the new Drake album. I may have even live tweeted some of my thoughts while they were happening. In all honesty, it’s very hard for me to keep Drake and Jimmy Brooks separate. He will always be Jimmy Brooks to me just Jimmy got lucky as a rapper, I suppose. So, when he speaks of his high school reunion I immediately think of Degrassi. But tracks later he’s speaking of twerking and ordering a chicken in the same rhyme so I have no idea what’s happening, but I’m pretty sure those two things should not go or be mentioned together. Anyhow, this track has mostly been in my rotation because a close friend of mine put it on a get well playlist she made for me. It’s true, I love receiving playlist made for me. Even if it’s just to cheer me up while I’m sick.
Laughtrack – Botany featuring Father John Misty
So this track only appeared on my radar this morning, but already I’ve been listening to it a fair amount of times. What can I say I have a weakness for J. Tillman’s beautiful voice. It’s just a thing I have to go through life having. Not that I’m complaining.
Listen to it over at Pitchfork
Almost Famous (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Since I was 13 I’ve loved the movie Almost Famous, and to me the music selections are pretty perfect. Only recently have I rediscovered my love for many of them so naturally I’d spend plenty of time listening to a playlist of the tunes. There’s just something about them that makes boring day activities much cooler in my book. Although, I’d much rather be touring with a rock and roll band than grocery shopping, but what can you do? We all can’t be Penny Lane or William Miller, now can we?
Listen to: Voodoo Child – Jimi Hendrix, Tangerine – Led Zeppelin, Tiny Dancer – Elton John
There you have it. What’s currently playing out of my speakers. What do you think of these songs/albums? Is there anything I should be definitely checking out that I may have missed?
What a week it has been. As I mentioned yesterday, I’m still slightly under the weather. The weather changes at the drop of a hat here so going from the 90s to the 80s is rough. Not to mention it gets very, very chilly over night. Not exactly the best thing for attempting to avoid a runny nose or the sniffles. But who wants to hear me complain about weather some more? No one. I’m pretty sure.
What else happened this week? Let’s see. The government reopened (for now) which means one thing: PANDA CAM IS BACK! Yes the all mighty panda cam is back on! As well as a few other underrated national zoo cams. That’s exciting! The Dodgers lost to the St. Louis Cardinals. That’s so sad and unfortunate, but they made it pretty damn far. It’s hard not to be proud of that fact even if going to the World Series would have been pret-ty awesome. Dutchess Kate played volleyball and looked pretty damn flawless. I’m still boggled how that’s possible since every time a normal person, mainly myself, does any physical activity I look like an uncoordinated monster. Can I please have her outfit? Over all it’s been an interesting week, here are some other things from around the net.
Ever wonder what your choice of drink says about you? I guess I could be considered civilized….?
Strange News: Seriously guys, what’s wrong with the blueberries?
H to the IZZO: Now you can browse the web like Jay Z which is something I didn’t even know I ever wanted.
Fangirl Alert: There have been some new TV spots for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and it’s becoming 900% harder every day to contain the feels.
Awe-dorable: There’s a huggable monkey robot that discreetly helps caregivers care for the elderly.
USA Today shares the most common room service orders. Can I get that antipasto stat?
Oh my god! Pumpkin spice lattes almost never happened? What else would I fall in love with? Probably pumpkin spice M&Ms. You know, if Target wasn’t sold out of them every single time I went to get some…
Listen up: Who do you think should be inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for 2014? You can sound off here. I already know who I’m choosing.
I WISH: Ever wanted Alexa Chung’s perfect hair? I know I do. Well, Nylon Magazine has us covered. Except, I feel like mine will still turn out to be a frizzy mess.
I love this: The Headphones Project stops random people and asks what they are listening to. Some of the results were pretty surprising.
FINALLY: There’s a trailer for The Grand Budapest Hotel. I absolutely cannot wait.
Shameless self plugs of the week: New Girl review The Box (Warning contains a really bad box pun). Over at TV Ever After find out my favorite horror movie themes or check out our playlist of horror scores to get into the Halloween spirit.
Well, I’m taking a mini road trip today. That should be fun and exciting. Who doesn’t love a good adventure? Catch you on the flip side, loves!
Friday. Lovely, lovely Friday. Rather than kicking off the weekend in typical fashion, I’d much rather just eat soup and go to bed. And there’s just so much Homeland to catch up on. I’ve been feeling under the weather, but still managing to push through. You do what you have to do right? Other than that horrid turn of events, here’s what I’m currently up to.
Links: Kate Spade Phone Case (unfortunately no longer available) / Pantone Espresso Maker / Peanut Butter Brownies
It’s (almost) Halloween. That means a couple things: pumpkins everywhere and it’s time for those lovable horror movies. For TV Ever After this month I’ve been given the task of dedicating an entire month to horror. Like AMC’s Fearfest except a little more humorous. Anyone who knows me knows AMC Fearfest is one of my favorite times of year, and I don’t even love horror movies that much. Halloween is my jam though 110%. So, in honor of this creep-tastic time of the year I put together a little playlist of horror scores that can add just a little edge to your day. I’ve spent time listening to these scores days on end to pick just the right ones. Trust me, a gust of wind came, while I listened to Carol Anne’s Theme, that blew my blinds open and in that moment I could have peed my pants. That’s how much effort I put into this! I secretly love it though so it wasn’t much work. Enjoy.
Find it over at 8Tracks & Spotify
It has been one of those weeks that flew by in such a blur I honestly don’t even remember taking any exams this week. I don’t know if that’s good or bad either. Only the scores will tell I suppose, haha. What else has happened? The government is still taking a little inexcusable nap, people either really seem to love or really, really hate Gravity, and I bought some grey nail polish. I’m not sure about this trend yet, but I’m giving it a try. Not that anyone needs to know that….so here’s your weekly dose of internet happenings:
- From Fast Company: An interesting read about What Multitasking Does To Your Brain
- Breaking Bad (Possible Spoilers): There’s going to be a funeral for Walter White benefitting charity.
- File Under “I didn’t even know I wanted this, but now I have it” News: Are you drinking? Are you mad at Congress? Go ahead and drunk dial them and tell them how you really feel. It’s probably better than calling your ex right?
- Love it or hate it?: Facebook apparently has company apartments to make working at Facebook even better.
- This is cool: How do they film those beautiful Top Gear car review segments? Wired let’s us in on the secret.
- Be still my heart: Cameron Crowe is working on a romantic comedy with Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, and Jay Baruchel?
- Buzzfeed of the Week: Did you happen to see Glee’s tearful goodbye to Corey Monteith? Buzzfeed will help you relive those feels.
- 90s Nostalgia Overdose: Thanks to Hello Giggles we can discuss the Tamagotchi and what happened to the cast of Salute Your Shorts. If I couldn’t keep a Tamagotchi alive how am I expected to keep a living, breathing tiny human alive as an adult? At least the Tamagotchi would beep when it was hungry…
- Shameless Self Promotion: New Girl review over at Screen Spy. Check out what I thought of The Captain.
Well, I’ve got some baking to do before the preschool themed party I’m attending tonight. That should be interesting, right? I sure hope so. I was pretty awesome in preschool so this should be a good time. Have a great weekend. Catch you the flip side. I promise more interesting things to come in the next couple days when life isn’t a giant blur of sleep and coffee.
Featured image as always via Tumblr
Fall is in full swing in some places and that means one thing in my world: pumpkin everything. Seriously, if there’s pumpkin in it, on it, or near it odds are I own it or will eat it. If it’s edible. I don’t just try to eat objects. That’s weird. I’m sure I’m a prime candidate for that show My Strange Addiction between mid-September and December. Anyway, every year when this time rolls around there’s a half a million recipes that include pumpkin. I’m always daring enough to try some of them, but my favorite by far is my super secret recipe for pumpkin chili. So, on this (finally) chilly Friday morning I decided to go through my Pinterest board of recipes and share some of my favorites including that beloved orange gourd. Or is it a squash..?
Creamy Pumpkin Coffee | Recipe
Pasta with Creamy Pumpkin Sauce and Toasted Hazelnuts | Food + Wine
Mini Pumpkin Cheesecakes | Koko Cooks
Gluten-Free + Vegan Pumpkin Brownies | Pickles + Honey
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes | The Craving Chronicles
Pumpkin Pie Milkshake | A Beautiful Mess
Okay, so maybe I have a bit of a sweet tooth. And maybe I actually did get into a heated discussion about how pumpkin coffee should be warm despite pumpkin pie being eaten cold. What can I say? I’m passionate about pumpkins. These all sound so delicious. It will be hard to decide what to make next.
See even more awesome recipes I love @ Pinterest (not strictly limited to pumpkins. Trust me…)
Another week of 2013 is coming to an end. I can’t believe it’s October already. I guess when you’re younger time feels like it moves much more slowly than when you’re an adult. It’s probably those six hours spent sitting in a desk hating fractions and long division that make it feel so much longer. It’s been a bit strange to go from busy busy busy to having some free time this week. Such a rare occurrence for me but it gave me time to watch my Dodgers in the MLB post season! Sad loss to the Braves yesterday afternoon, but we will pretend that didn’t happen. Let’s see what else happened this week? The government decided to hit pause, Breaking Bad ended, twerking is still a thing, and the very first cancelled television show for 2013 is Lucky 7. Here’s some more cool things happening around the internet this week:
- So the government is shut down, but fear not NBC has a list of things you can and can’t do during the shut down. You have no idea how bad you want to go to a national park when they say you can’t…
- Buzzfeed of the Week: 101 PUMPKIN RECIPES
- This is Cool: With Book you can turn your Paper sketches into a custom Moleskin
- Round of Applause: for Marina Shifrin who quit her job via a video set to Gone by Kanye West
- Well this is happening: Sinead O’Connor has beef with Miley Cyrus
- CLOONEY: GQ has George Clooney’s hair evolution on display.
- MMMaking This: Grown Up Grilled Cheese from A Cup of Jo. Reminds me of the grilled cheese sammies my dad used to make.
- Who knew: Meticulous research developed the Trapper Keeper? Maybe that’s why they were outlawed by all schools in 1995?
- In “something I never even knew I wanted but now I get” news: One Direction will have 1D Day. A 7 hour live stream celebration of themselves in November. If they think people are crazy enough to sit in front of a computer for 7 hours…they would be right.
- MAY CONTAIN BREAKING BAD SPOILERS: Breaking Bad fans placed an obituary for Walter White in an Albuquerque Newspaper. I think it’s awesome, but some people obviously did not agree.
- So you’re a millenial, eh? Well Vulture has the perfect list for all of us. Behold the 100 Pop Culture Things That Make You a Millenial. 50% of this list is awesome.
- Shameless Plugs: New Girl article Double Date is up now & I shared a new playlist, Paris, Mon Amour, earlier this week if you need some cool French tunes for your weekend. I’m also working on a bunch of Halloween/Horror themed things for TVEA for the coming weeks. So get excited for that.
Enjoy the weekend. Catch ya’ll on the flip side.
Featured Image, as always, via Tumblr
For the longest time my sister and I have loved everything French. What’s not to love though? It’s romantic, their baguettes are delicious, the nouvelle vague of the 1960s is one of my favorite things, and well, they “hate” us. A couple semesters into college I took a French course figuring I could finally learn to speak the language I love so much. I already know a couple of languages so why not? It was a terrible mistake. The professor wasn’t very good and just made me anxious the entire class which, honestly, was longer than it actually needed to be. I did take away the ability to hold a conversation if ever one ever arises, but other than that I’ll probably have to learn another way. The reason I share this is the latest mix I’ve made is filled with songs in French that I love. One positive about the class was getting to hear many new French artists I haven’t heard of before. She really prided herself on having the ability to expose us to different genres every class. Even rap!
It’s an entirely random mix that spans genres and years. Some are current while others are older. Some are instrumental and others are entirely in French. It’s perfect for a little mental vacation since traveling to Paris definitely costs more than a pair of ear buds. Not that I wouldn’t much rather go to Paris because I would in a heartbeat….
- Si tu vois ma mere – Sidney Joseph Bechet
- Pas Pour Toi – Ava Carrère
- L’Idole – Jacques duTronc
- Camille – Georges Delerue
- Quelqu’un m’a dit – Carla Bruni
- Comment Te Dire Adieu – Françoise Hardy
- Il Secondo Giorno (Instrumental) – Air
- Bonnie & Clyde – Serge Gainsbourg & Brigitte Bardot
- Ma Ligne de Chance (from Pierrot le Fou) – Antoine Duhamel featuring Anna Karina
- Les Cheveux dans les yeux – Cosette
- Moi je joue – Brigitte Bardot
- La Chat du Café des Artistes – Charlotte Gainsbourg
- Le Temps de L’Amour – Françoise Hardy
- Je Suis Folle de Tant T’aimer – Arlette Zola
- Quel mal y a-t-il- à ça – Francoise Hardy
- Ballad du Paris – Francois Parisi
- Les Champs-èlysées – Joe Dassin
- Zou Bisou Bisou – Gillian Hills
Can be found over at 8Tracks & on Spotify
*Disclaimer: the Spotify features a few different songs than the original because Spotify doesn’t have all the songs in the original.
Album Artwork via Tumblr